Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Inventing terminology

Transmog (trns-mg)
noun. A "Transmog," or more commonly just "Mog" or "Moggie", is a person who has undergone genetic augmentation therapy to obtain non-human physical or psychological characteristics; "I didn't realize he was a mog until I saw the tentacle slip out of his shirt." From Transmogrify, "to change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre."

transmogrify
verb : change completely the nature or appearance of; "In Kafka's story, a person metamorphoses into a bug"; "The treatment and diet transfigured her into a beautiful young woman"; "Jesus was transfigured after his resurrection" [syn: metamorphose, transfigure]


1 comment:

LJM said...

its very amusing to see your little piece on "transmogrify" -
about 25 years ago a friend (Franny Gardner)and I were framing up a house in Avalon NJ and decided spontaneously to invent a word. It turned out to be the word transmogrification and unbeknownst to us, as far as it appeared after I discovered years later, it was already a word. So to stumble on your blog and see that is pretty entertaining stuff. I cant remember what meaning we attached to our rendition, but in the madness of the summer sun, there's no telling what. next time I see Fran, I'll ask if he remembers and let you know.
LOLater